A New York City Summer


New York City is somehow nothing and everything that you'd expect it to be. While sometimes I feel as if I'm living in an episode of Seinfeld (a woman asked me if I could spare a square in the bathroom last week!!!) other times I feel as if it's the same as any other place I've lived (except for the cows and corn).

The biggest thing that makes my time here so special is my internship. For the past month I've been working as a style and beauty intern at Martha Stewart Weddings — literally a dream come true. While I grew up obsessing over magazines and yearning to be apart of that glittery world, I never truly thought of it as a real possibility. Even while earning my degree in magazine journalism, I was always told how impossible it was to find a staff job at a magazine, and felt that I would be happy to land ANY job after I graduate.

Granted, getting an internship is remarkably easier than landing a full-time job. However, living in Manhattan and working at an amazing magazine with amazing people has given me hope that my dream really can be a reality. While I miss Chicago and everyone in Illinois more than anything, opportunities in the magazine industry there are slim, so I'm beyond grateful for the perspective this summer has given me.


My parents being GOALS at the top of the Empire State Building. I'm so lucky to have loving, supporting parents who help me pursue my wild and crazy dreams!


The Comme des Garcons exhibit at The Met is breathtaking. I've decided I want to be married and buried in these gowns. 


8 'Till Late, a bodega where everything is made of felt. Audrey was in town and she always knows the coolest places to visit! 


This picture is the result of Lily and I being all dressed up with nowhere to go. It's funny how you can sometimes be so bored in the city that never sleeps.


And here's Lily, my one comfort from home that keeps me sane in this faraway city. Cons: She lives in Crown Heights, which is a 45 minute subway ride. Pros: Her apartment has this amazing rooftop where we can spend all day and night dancing like the crazy people we are.


While I still think the fireworks back home are far more spectacular (country people really know how to handle some explosives), being surrounded by so much happiness from people who are usually in such a rush was a beautiful feeling. 


Through the American Society of Magazine Editors, I get to go to a different publication every week for lunch with the magazine's editors. Here, we were able to learn from the editors at Bon Appetit. I was hoping to run into Anna Wintour in the elevator, but I guess that'll just have to wait. 


Every Sunday, Will somehow convinces me to indulge in bottomless mimosas at brunch. I always feel peak Carrie Bradshaw in these moments. 


The Real ASME Interns of New York at Field & Stream yesterday. It's been amazing having a support group of people with similar interests going through the same intern struggles that I am. 


While it felt incredibly lonely at first, I'm learning to love this crazy city. I can't wait to see what adventures the next month brings.










Comments

Popular Posts